This was long before Victoria’s imposing Parliament House or the renowned Melbourne Cricket Ground was ever imagined. Only a decade after Melbourne was first settled, the hospital’s foundation stone was laid with much fanfare and a public procession on 20 March 1846. In contrast, there was little celebration when the hospital opened two years later.
The patients on this day numbered six: two inpatients and four outpatients.
All were male, with the first two female patients treated on 22 March. As was the custom of the day, all were admitted upon the recommendation of a subscriber or financial benefactor to the hospital. During its first year, a total of 89 inpatients and 98 outpatients were treated.
Physiotherapist Grade 4
Physiotherapist Grade 3
Divisional Business Manager
Evaluation & Service Improvement Coordinator
Food Service Assistant
Pathology Collector – Phlebotomist
Accounts Payable Officer
Clinician – RPN
Physiotherapist – Grade 2
Community Key Clinician
Health Information Manager